This page will consolidate what plans we have, what progress we make on our projects and new services of ours. Also special offers on certain occasions.
When enough has accumulated here this info will also be sent out to those who have subscribed to our newsletter.
Finalized design of the tire hugger, ready to ship now.
Added a small windscreen (OEM Royal Enfield for the 650 models) to the shop with a uniquely designed bracket to fit to the Himalayan. Will be sending the design to the laser cutter shortly. ETA end of February.
Our second designer model Himalayan “India” is almost ready.
It will be the testbed for one of our brake enhancements namely the BiBre caliper, disk and front fork from the 650 models adapted to the Himalayan.
After much consideration and even more discussion with various engine refurbishing companies we decided to risk a simple bore and honing of the OEM cylinder with the 462 piston from Hitchcocks. Could be a close call with a remaining wall strength of under 2mm. The engine then will be mounted on my bike because that is the most used and I ride hot and fast on highways a lot, so if it lasts on mine it is probably a solid solution. The Italian 450cc piston is still in transit to us.
Hitchcock piston and cylinder now at the boring/sleeving company. Finished product should be back in 2 weeks time.
The Italian piston is finally on its way to us. ETA 2 weeks.
Extensive research has been done regarding the lowering struts. The German made ones where checked against the OEM versions. They are perfectly worked in Aluminum vs. steel used in the OEM. The weight difference seems too small to justify the price difference. OEM struts were cut and welded with an extension.
The final design for a tire hugger has been done based on a KTM 390 hugger that was modified to fit the REH. This seems the most effective and visually pleasing design of all.
The second fully modified REH will be ready for delivery in a week or so. A new page to show off modified Himalayans was created.
Continued interference and delays with Indian customs keep the extendable side stand project stalled as well as our ability to do powder coating as the parts from Europe are stuck in customs as well. This can take a long time to settle.
Ongoing tests with the Brembo floating front brake disk. OEM caliper with OEM RE pads, thereafter with Brembo and 3rd party sintered pads. Results will be interesting. We are also aiming at modifying the ByBre caliper of the 650 so it fits the Himalayan fork because that and its pads are much cheaper than Brembo but just as effective as proven by the 650. Testing will take time. We are looking for a test stand where we can do objective measurements.
Hitchcock piston has been ordered. Italian piston still delayed.
New project: lowering struts. Aiming at 4cm lower seat position. Either with a high quality machined part or a cheap solution using the original OEM part , cut it and weld an extension. Even that would be more solid and stable than the cheapo Chinese ebay stuff.
The Toolbox for the Jerry can bracket is now available, powder coated mate black, two mate black powder coated Jerry cans are now available too.
Our powder coating guy has left us hanging high and dry for almost 4 weeks now. Finally he promises delivery for the 4th of Jan. This stalled many of our ongoing projects, basically everything where even one small part had to be coated by him.
For this reason we decided to get the necessary gear to do sandblasting and coating ourselves in the future. Orders for the tools are out, but it will take time, some stuff ordered from China, the USA and Europe.
Project 450cc: Hitchcock’s is now selling the piston for their 462cc combo solo. We are considering getting one and then offering our own sleeved cylinder with it.
Of course first we have to check how it runs without Powertronic and if other mods are necessary.
The Italian piston has not yet been sent to us, let alone arrived. Delays because apparently Italians take extended Christmas holidays we where told.
We are still hopeful to be able to stick to the deadline March/April 2020.
Extendable side stand started as new research project. It is envisioned to adapt a module from a medical OP table that can lift up to 140KG and is made of aluminum. A toggle switch on the handlebar will allow to extend the stand (which then will be 3 cm shorter than OEM) by additional 15cm.
The basic functionality remains the same, i.e. the stand needs to get swung down by the rider and up as well. The extender serves ONLY to alleviate ground clearance and unevenness.
Project “rear seat to toolbox” has been delayed until a decision can be made whether to use aluminum or stainless steel.
The basic design envisions a box in place and roughly of the size of the pillion seat. The box will be a bit higher and extended to the rear by a few centimeter. It will have a thin soft cover to be able to serve as “emergency seat”.